Have you ever stayed up late watching cat videos, drowning in cuteness and unable to stop? If you don’t already have a cat, then, consider getting one.
Cats have a reputation for being moody, aloof, even disloyal. But ask any cat owner and they would tell you how wrong those beliefs are. Sure, cats may have their weird quirks compared to dogs or other pets, but that‘s what makes them charming.
If you are thinking of getting a companion animal, here are eight reasons why a cat should be on the top of your list.
1. Cats live long: Losing a pet can be heartbreaking. Fortunately, domestic cats have an average lifespan of 15 years, and many indoor cats live to their early twenties. The oldest cat ever on record was Creme Puff, from Texas, who lived 38 years and three days! getting a kitten will give you a lifelong companion.
2. Cats are low maintenance: Cats are independent creatures, they're less needy than dogs. So if you work most of your day, you don’t have to feel guilty about leaving them on their own as long as they have their food, drink and litter. cats can find ways to amuse themselves, or simply sleep. Did you know cats can sleep 15 hours a day! Unlike dogs, cats don’t require constant walks, and they’re very content staying indoors.
3. Owning a cat is cheaper: A study by ASPCA shows that, on average, owning a cat is cheaper than owning a dog.
4. Cats are cleaner: Some dog owners may struggle with keeping their dog from rolling in smelly stuff or digging around in the garbage. Dogs require constant cleaning and bathing. Unlike cats, who do a great job of keeping themselves clean since they're constantly grooming themselves.
5. Cats are apartment friendly: If you live in an apartment building, it is more likely to allow cats rather than dogs. They're a lot less noisy and they take up less space compared to dogs.
6. Cats are easily potty trained: some cats don't even require training, if they see a litter box it comes naturally to them, since they have a natural instinct in doing their business in soil or sand. Kitten learn by watching their mother, so by the time you get a kitten to your place, it will most likely be already trained to use the litter. P.S: You can seamlessly integrate a cat's litter box into your home decor with unique litter boxes like this one from Amazon:
7. Cats will keep your place rodent free: Cats are natural hunters, having a cat in your home will keep it clean of rodents, insects and any other small, crawly creatures. (shudder)
8. Cats are affectionate: while cats are fine on their on if you had to go on a business trip for a couple of days, they also love to play. Especially kittens, descendant from natural predators, cats have an abundant of hunting energy that they spend stalking, chasing and "fighting". Cats also love cuddling, they're snuggly beasts and their purring is one of the most relaxing sounds in the world. If someone tells you that cats are not affectionate, show them this video:
Cats are often misunderstood as aloof or unaffectionate because they don't have as much facial muscles as dogs and their deadpan expressions can throw people off.
However, if you just pay attention to their body language and tail, cats are very easy to understand. And while they do have their bizzare moments, it's all part of a very charming package deal.
If you're still hesitant about getting a cat, don't be! go ahead, you will not regret it.